Moore Observatory is located on the 200-acre Horner Wildlife Refuge in Oldham County, Kentucky. The Horner Family donated this land to the University of Louisville in the early 1960's. Another 1000 acres of the original farm surrounds the preserve.
The observatory is named for Walter Lee Moore, Professor of Mathematics at UofL from 1929 to 1967. Dedication ceremonies were held on November 8, 1978 with introductions by Dr. John A. Dillon, Jr., then Vice President for Academic Affairs at UofL. The Moore Telescope dedication was made by Dr. John F. Kielkopf, who is the observatory's director.